Monday, July 23, 2007

Digitalism - Essential Mix



Digitalism, BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix July 16, 2007 (YSI link) tracklisting in comments

We've been looking back recently, but it's time to turn our attention to the now. I feel like this is the year of neo-electro, when groups like Digitalism and Justice have finally gotten the attention beyond loser bloggers like me. They've got excellent albums out, lots of press and most importantly essential mixes on Pete Tong's BBC Radio 1 program. Last Sunday, Digitalism got their chance to drop a two-hour mix and I felt like this was the perfect way to start off your week of office/subway/home listening.

For those who don't know, Digitalism is the German duo of Jens Moelle and Ismail Tuefekci, the men behind monster tracks like "Zdarlight", "Idealistic" and "Jupiter Room", tons of remixes for acts like Daft Punk, Tom Vek and Klaxons and most importantly put out one of the best albums of 2007, Idealism. They've been a personal favorite since I first heard them, so I'm so psyched that these guys are getting the attention and respect they deserve.

This mix starts slow for me, I'm not totally sure why. I tend to like something catchy right off the bat, just to let me get situated and in the mood, the Chemical Brothers' "Hey Boy Hey Girl" is a little too heavy for me. Jason Nevins' Run DMC mash-up got me back on course and for the next 2- hours and it's all good from there til the end. It's got tons of edits, dance classics fromt the past decades, recent stuff from moving through genres with ease, much like the Soulwax guys. Check around the 21 minute mark, the boys drop Daft Punk's "Rollin' and Scratchin'" and you're never the same. I challenge you to not begin pumping your arms and waving them in the air, regardless of where you are. It's like the one potato chip challenge, you're gonna lose, so no sense in denying yourself the fun.

Mang, this one's another great one, essential for anyone who wants to get into that gap between rock and dance, where so much of the best stuff is going on. Of course, you could also read here, but I don't want to toot my own horn. More to come later today, as we're going to begin alternating between new and old stuff from here on out, 80s shit next.

No comments:

Post a Comment