happy valentines day poems for friends
Much may be done in those little shreds and patches of time which every day produces, and which most men throw away. ~Charles Caleb Colton
Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is. ~Albert Camus
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. ~Andre Gide, Le traite du Narcisse, 1891 Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw
People cannot go wrong, if you don't let them. They cannot go right, unless you let them. ~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare, Guesses at Truth, by Two Brothers, 1827
Mankind have banned the Divinity from their presence; they have relegated him to a sanctuary; the walls of the temple restrict his view; he does not exist outside of it. ~Diderot, Pensees philosophiques, 1746
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874 When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874
Men have need of history because, without it, the past threatens to overwhelm them. ~Guy Fregault, La guerre de la conquete
For, after all, put it as we may to ourselves, we are all of us from birth to death guests at a table which we did not spread. The sun, the earth, love, friends, our very breath are parts of the banquet.... Shall we think of the day as a chance to come nearer to our Host, and to find out something of Him who has fed us so long? ~Rebecca Harding Davis
Venus favors the bold. ~Ovid
There are people who have an appetite for grief; pleasure is not strong enough and they crave pain. They have mithridatic stomachs which must be fed on poisoned bread, natures so doomed that no prosperity can sooth their ragged and dishevelled desolation. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
The inertia hardest to overcome is that of perfectly good seconds. ~Martin H. Fischer
His love shone as impartial as the sun. ~Maurice Thompson
One of these days is none of these days. ~Attributed to both Henri Tubach and H.G. Bohn
We all participate in weaving the social fabric; we should therefore all participate in patching the fabric when it develops holes. ~Anne C. Weisberg, Everything a Working Mother Needs to Know, 1994
Chlorine: the breakfast of champions! ~Author Unknown
Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson
You make me sick! You are offered meat and you choose a banana-split-with-nuts. ~Martin H. Fischer
I'm not sure what makes pepperoni so good - if it's the pepper or the oni. ~Ulrik Stephens
Summer has set in with its usual severity. ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge
I love the place; the magnificent books; I require books as I require air. ~Sholem Asch
No comments:
Post a Comment