titan arum amorphophallus titanum
Life is the hyphen between matter and spirit. ~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare, Guesses at Truth, by Two Brothers, 1827
I have scarcely touched the sky and I am made of it. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin
I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble. ~Rudyard Kipling
Man loves company even if it is only that of a small burning candle. ~Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
We shall find peace. We shall hear angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds. ~Anton Chekhov
Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home! ~Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers, 1836
We do not deal much in facts when we are contemplating ourselves. ~Mark Twain
If you must drink and drive, drink Pepsi. ~Author unknown, as seen on a bumper sticker
In a world flagrant with the failures of civilization, what is there particularly immortal about our own? ~G.K. Chesterton
Violence in the voice is often only the death rattle of reason in the throat. ~John Frederick Boyes
Confession is good for the conscience, but it usually bypasses the soul. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960
The true Indian sets no price upon either his property or his labor. His generosity is limited only by his strength and ability. He regards it as an honor to be selected for difficult or dangerous service and would think it shameful to ask for any reward, saying rather: Let the person I serve express his thanks according to his own bringing up and his sense of honor. ~Ohiyesa of the Santee Sioux (Charles Alexander Eastman)
It's not the men in my life, it's the life in my men. ~Mae West
They say that ninety percent of TV is junk. But, ninety percent of everything is junk. ~Gene Roddenberry
But they are useless. They can only give you answers. ~Pablo Picasso, about computers
To hear some men talk of the government, you would suppose that Congress was the law of gravitation, and kept the planets in their places. ~Wendell Phillips, Orations, Speeches, Lectures and Letters
What is it that you like doing? If you don't like it, get out of it, because you'll be lousy at it. ~Lee Iacocca
Everything in life is somewhere else, and you get there in a car. ~E.B. White
I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man I have ever met. ~Dwight Lyman Moody
When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ~William Shakespeare, Henry V
No comments:
Post a Comment