Thursday, April 28, 2011

i miss you sayings and quotes

i miss you sayings and quotes





i miss you sayings and quotes i miss you sayings and quotes i miss you sayings and quotes



i miss you sayings and quotes i miss you sayings and quotes i miss you sayings and quotes







I don't never have any trouble in regulating my own conduct, but to keep other folks' straight is what bothers me. ~Josh Billings



On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers. ~Adlai E. Stevenson



O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it. ~Mark Twain, "The War Prayer"



Faith is reason grown courageous. ~Sherwood Eddy



Philosophy begins in wonder. And, at the end, when philosophic thought has done its best, the wonder remains. ~Alfred North Whitehead



If pregnancy were a book they would cut the last two chapters. ~Nora Ephron, Heartburn, 1983



Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily. ~Thomas Szasz



Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are. ~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, translated



Delusion about history is a serious matter; it can gravely affect the history that is waiting to be made. ~John Terraine



We must all hang together or most assuredly we shall hang separately. ~Benjamin Franklin



I, who have no sisters or brothers, look with some degree of innocent envy on those who may be said to be born to friends. ~James Boswell



I have no color prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse. ~Mark Twain



Science without conscience is the soul's perdition. ~Francois Rabelais, Pantagruel, 1572



Malthus has been buried many times, and Malthusian scarcity with him. But as Garrett Hardin remarked, anyone who has to be reburied so often cannot be entirely dead. ~Herman E. Daly, Steady-State Economics, 1977



Those moments before a poem comes, when the heightened awareness comes over you, and you realize a poem is buried there somewhere, you prepare yourself. I run around, you know, kind of skipping around the house. It's as though I could fly, almost, and I get very tense before I've told the truth - hard. Then I sit down at the desk and get going with it. ~Anne Sexton



True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about but few have seen. ~Author Unknown



There are always too many Democratic congressmen, too many Republican congressmen, and never enough U.S. congressmen. ~Author Unknown



Every man is more than just himself; he also represents the unique, the very special and always significant and remarkable point at which the world's phenomena intersect, only once in this way and never again. ~Hermann Hesse



When hope is hungry, everything feeds it. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960



Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. ~Aesop

No comments:

Post a Comment