Monday, September 24, 2007

Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55 remixes

http://a651.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01030/05/63/1030233650_l.jpg

Charlotte Gainsbourg, "5:55 (Black Ghosts remix)" (YSI link)

Charlotte Gainsbourg, "5:55 (Metronomy remix)" (YSI link)

Not surprisingly, I have Paris on the brain. I spent the weekend looking at a photo of my real father when he was about my age, getting confirmation from others that we look nearly identical now that I've lost weight. I also re-watched Breathless (A
Bout De Souffle for my fellow annoying snobs) for the billionth time, read about
Truffaut and got psyched to go see 400 Blows at the Flim Forum, listened to the best music of today (Ed Banger, Institubes, a band called Daft Punk), beginning to make the initial plans to visit. Oui oui oui!

It seems like the perfect time to take a look at the lead single from one of the better albums of 2007, Charlotte Gainsbourg's 5:55. I'll have more to say on the LP later this week, but for now I wanted to mention the 5:55 Remixes that feature some of the best on the indie dance scene. Y'all know I'm a sucker for tracks where some of my favorite producers/bands remix my favorite artists. This is no exception, as The Black Ghosts and Metronomy take a turn at the first song on the album, "5:55." The original is a dreamy, acoustic guitar/piano track featuring Gainsbourg's lovely, whispery vocals. Neither remixer really pushes the envelope, making this a pretty good introduction to the album for those of you looking to get into it. I like the Black Ghosts remix more, as the guys add in some new vocals, strip the music down to its bare bones and make the song even more haunting. Metronomy also go the minimal route, adding in some almost-fragile keys and effects, with the bass becoming the focal point. Really nice work by both groups, subtle yet effective remixes.

Once you've listened to these, you're gonna wanna immediately buy the album. I'm recommending it highly, will have more to say on it, but no sense in waiting. Oh, and as always, if you live and/or work in Paris, please get in touch and help me come to your city to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment