Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Dykeenies - New Ideas



The Dykeenies, "New Ideas (Riton Re-rub)" (YSI link)

The Dykeenies, "New Ideas (The Black Ghosts remix)" (YSI link)

Okay, we're going to slowly but surely work our way back to our normal fare here at Pound for Pound, the latest from the club and dancefloors of the world. I wasn't really expecting to dig so deep into either the current indie stuff or the Manchester years, but I'm having fun and hopefully you are too. If not, this Dykeenies track should do the trick.

The Dykeenies are a Scottish group comprised of three Henderson brothers, Steven Ramsay and John Kerr, continuing that grand tradition of rock bands with an eye and ear to the dancefloor. The group makes poppy, new wave music, nothing too breathtaking or original. However, they seem to be tapped into all of the amazing stuff going on between indie bands and dance remixers, as they invited three to have a go at their first single, "New Ideas." The original is the best thing I've heard from the band, a song that reminds me of everything I love about Bloc Party - cacthy song with an almost emo-vibe, nice buildups, that cleaned-up and mixed-up post-punk and new wave sound. There's an amazing Kissy Sell Out remix on the re-released single that you'll want to pick up ASAP, but I wanted to give you a taste of the other two.

I've mentioned Riton, a.k.a. Henry Smithson, before here, I believe, and he does not disappoint. This remix's a sick, Dubsided-y version, filled with chopped-up vocals, massive bass, relentless drums, synths, the whole nine yards. However, the Black Ghosts remix is my choice of the lot, as they actually let the original breathe a little bit.

Like it? Well, the band is about to drop their first LP, supposedly on September 16th and they're kicking things off with a nice package of singles in advance. I'm gonna check it out, as I really hope that the band lets the dance remixes influence the originals a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment